Sunday, March 24, 2013

Confession 101: my child is strong willed.

I have to admit the truth- I have a spirited or strong willed child that quite frankly tests me on a near daily basis. It's best we figured this out early. I feel empowered as I learn more about these more difficult children and how to handle them. It's helpful to know that I am not alone, especially when Elijah's tantrums leave me feeling embarrassed, incompetent, and exasperated.
Now I'm reading message boards and "the strong-willed child" by Dr. James Dobson for ideas on setting limits and ensuring I win the battles. It's hard to be patient and calm when you're 36 weeks pregnant, hormonal, and tired. But who said parenting was going to be easy? According to Dr. Dobson, most families have at least one of these strong-willed children. I am hoping this means that baby #2 will be more easy- going. This also makes me envious of my mother, who had 2 compliant children. Although, as I told her tonight, she had a "strong-willed" husband - so perhaps God just didn't give her more than she could handle ;). Please don't get me wrong, my son is loving and caring, but he is also ready to fight to the finish for his way. Who knows, maybe he will be a great leader one day. Now that I understand the child I have , I can work towards breaking his will but not his spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment