Thursday, May 3, 2012
Finding Joy and being thankful
I was feeling overwhelmed tonight and I began thinking about thankfulness and being joyful.
My dear husband, Noah reminded me early this year to focus on finding joy and not happiness when I was feeling burdened by losses around me. So I did some Biblical research on what is really the difference: Joy is attitude of the heart. Happiness is an emotion usually tied to current circumstances. Joy lasts but happiness is something that is temporary. Joy is something that is bigger than you and I and our current circumstances. Joy brings us peace in the middle of a storm. So even if I am not laughing or smiling as much, know this is temporary, and I have not lost my joy. (Nehemiah 8:10).
People always use Joy and Happiness interchangeably but from an early I learned that true joy comes from Christ. My mom was my shinning example of joy. I don't think I ever took the opportunity to fully appreciate the difference. Being joyful starts with thankfulness. I am thankful for my faith, my family, and my friends.
Experiencing sadness over loss is natural, expected. I am talking about keeping your joy even in the midst of the sadness... I don't mean that you cannot be sad about suffering or that you have to ignore the tragedies around you. You can be joyful because joy is deeper than happiness and is not about just feeling good because nice things are happening. Joy is about God. Joy is happiness in God. Sadness is an appropriate and natural response to suffering and so are the other range of emotions when we experience a loss. God desires that we be honest about our sadness and share it in prayer. Knowing that God is with me always has given me peace and joy that is helping me with my sorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment