My 3 year old, Elijah, may struggle with his speech but he is
quite a problem solver. He loves to play with the water hose on the patio and apparently was determined to do so, with or without us. One Sunday
morning at approximately 7am, he crawled into bed with my husband, my 3 month
old, and I. As usual and we all went
back to sleep and I was hoping for maybe an extra 30 minutes of rest before he
started saying "Mama, wake up. Are
you hungry?". The next thing I
know, I wake up feeling rested. I knew something wasn't right and my husband sat up and noticed Elijah is not in bed with us. He jumped out of bed to go find out what he
was up to. Assuming he was just in the living room
playing, I rolled over and checked my phone and panicked when I saw it said
10am. About that time, Noah calls out to
me that Elijah is nowhere to be found in the house. My precious, active son was missing. My heart stopped. I felt like I couldn't breath. Terrified, I was already thinking of all the things that
could happen. We have a pond with
alligators behind our apartment, a pool down the street, tons of neighbors…. I flew out of bed, completely frightened and
ready to start looking for him. As soon
as I reached the living room, Noah was dragging a soaking wet Elijah down
hallway to his room as he scolded him.
Thankfully, Elijah had been found and had come to no harm.
He had been playing outside on the patio to play in a thunderstorm – it had
been pouring rain with lots of lightning all morning. Noah’s only clue to his location was a chair
pulled up to the sliding glass door.
Apparently Elijah had pulled the chair up to the door, pulled the locking
pin out, hid the pin, unlocked the second lock, went outside, and closed the
door behind him. He wanted to play with
the hose on the patio so badly that he figured out his escape. We can only guess to how long he was out
there…. It took hours for my heart and
Noah’s to return to normal. There is a third lock on our sliding door and Elijah cannot reach it or figure it out. It's also transparent, so he hasn't even noticed that's why he can't get out again.
No comments:
Post a Comment