Sunday, September 22, 2013

Apples, Carrots, Potatoes, OH MY!

 J'ai survécu à la première semaine. [I survived week one.]


I spent my week working hard with Elijah and his meals.  I took notes, I bookmarked over two dozen pages in my Nook Book version of French Kids Eat Everything.  I survived the first week and lived to tell the tale. She tells her story in such a humorous way and she approached her situation exactly how I would have done: with lists, plans, and some mistakes along the way.   I have to say that I enjoyed my week of learning and I loved getting to practice my French.   I spent 6+ year of my life trying to learn it and it was a nice fringe benefit to know what her girls were saying before the author gave you the English translation.  (I say trying to learn French because I can read it but conversing is a whole different story).

Elijah has been cut off from having access to the refrigerator and pantry for a couple of months now.  Previously I had read in a leading parenting magazine that you should keep healthy snacks available for them to serve themselves.  It seemed contrary to logic to allow this but I thought I'd try anything to get him eating his fruits and veggies again.  The idea crashed and burned and resulted in a child that was serving himself Cereal, Organic Fruit Snacks, lots of juice and more cereal.  He quit eating apples, carrots, and chicken around this time.

Learning this week is so much more about retraining myself and teach myself to eat a variety of foods.  I'm starting with trying to make meals that are more natural, less preservatives.  I know I can't make all the changes at once and I have to work with Elijah's food allergies, but changes are coming and my boy is already making progress.  He gave up carrots a few months ago and apples earlier this month.  This week, I managed to get him to eat both again.  If you are having trouble with your child and eating then you absolutely must read French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon.

Notes & Quotes:
These are the first 3 rules just paraphrased a bit.  These are the ones I'm working on first.  My comments have the * underneath.  The key to the rules is to make it about positive disciple and  establish a routine.

The Rules:
#1 Parent's are in charge of their children's food education.
    * I really never considered the idea of teaching my son about food.  But it was a light bulb moment for me.  Here I have been so concerned about his health, his allergies, he hearing, his speech, and I'm missing out on the keystone piece.  If I'm getting him to eat better and teaching him about his food then his health will improve.  The communication he gets from me while participating and learning will improve his speech.  What an empowering rule.  It's daunting but it's exciting.  Elijah enjoyed making biscuits this week with me and eagerly ate them up afterwards. *

#2 Food is NOT a pacifier, distraction, a toy, a reward, or substitute for discipline.
  *I have never wanted Elijah to play with his food but I have so been guilty of using it as a reward, especially for good behavior in a store. My issue is that I'm afraid to discipline my child in public via stern voice, smack of the hand, etc, because I don't want child services to be called.  I'm really jealous of the "it takes a village" concept in France, where the nearest adult will reprimand a child.  Really jealous.

#3 Parents schedule meal times and menus.  Kids eat what the adults eat.
  *I am a short-order cook no more.  I am excited to have this affirmed and proven.  Elijah gets what he gets and there will be no fit.  I am sticking to my guns.  He is strong-willed but so am I.  I'm older, I'm smarter, and I have patience when I know something is possible.  Karen Le Billon proved it is possible so I know we can make changes.  Thursday night he was served Breaded Chicken, Carrots, and Mashed Potatoes made with Lactaid.  It was a delicious meal.  He refused to eat anything but after sitting at the table with me for 30 minutes.  He begged and pleaded for cereal.  When I remained calm and continued to tell him that cereal was for breakfast he eventually gave in and ate his carrots.   We tried again at lunch time with leftovers and again he refused the chicken and mashed potatoes.  He gladly ate several carrots.  It was a small success but I was thrilled all the same.

So what's next? Well I'm going to continue to work on routine for Elijah.  I'm about to start introducing fruits and veggies to Isaiah (5 months now!) and I think this will be a great time to retrain Elijah too.  Now if I could just get my hands on a Babycook Baby Food Maker I'd be really in cooking. Yes,pun intended.



No comments:

Post a Comment