Isaiah is nearly 6 months old now and we are dealing with our first real illness. He's been cranky, restless, and congested. The past couple of days he seems like he's in pain when he's laying down. I'm not 100% sure but I think he has an ear infection. I'm up at 5 am, snuggling my little baby boy and listening to lullabies. It all reminds me of another sick little guy- Elijah, who hasn't been sick since May (4 months) and it's the longest he's ever gone without requiring a trip to the doctor. I am so thankful to see him doing better.
So what changed? Well, it's hard to pinpoint only one thing because it's been a few things : ear tubes, adenoids surgery, diet changes, allergy medication, and no daycare. Staying home with me has changed our worlds. I can monitor and control all food, give him his Singulair, and more of my attention.
Elijah spent his first 2 years getting a constant stream of ear and sinus infections. Just when we were considering surgery, he seemed to get better and went a whole 3 months without one. Then January 2012 hit and my big guy had 9 ear infections by April (the earliest we could get him surgery). Elijah would literally finish one antibiotic and have to start another one a few days later. In early February, we found out he had some hearing loss and scheduled the surgery to put in tubes and take out his adenoids.
So, Elijah had the surgery in the very cool pediatric ENT surgery office. It was the hardest thing I've ever witnessed, and I unceremoniously became the oldest patient in the recovery. Elijah had been put under anesthesia and was only gone about 30 minutes when he was wheeled into recovered. He was already awake and coming out of it. He was furious to be hooked up to IVs and kept trying to rip then out. I teared up and just wanted to comfort him... Until I started feeling dizzy and nauseated.
Noah, my ex-firefighting husband had me sit down. I got hot and clammy but thought I could manage signing a few papers when the nurse called me out to her desk. Standing there, I tried to read and sign. But then things started to go black. I heard a muffled Noah say something and felt another nurse catch me and place me in a wheelchair. Next thing I know I've been wheeled down the hallway and I'm being handed apple juice. The nurse consoled me and told me Elijah was just fine and I needed to sit for a few moments. I started to cry. It was frustrating and I felt ridiculous. My boy needed me and here I am passing out.
We both recovered just fine. Elijah went home with us and it was so amazing to see and hear the differences afterwards. My son could hear! He went from mumbling a few words to talking more and more every day. His speech was delayed but he began progressing finally. He was less frustrated because he was able to communicate more. He didn't have to rely on baby sign language and started to articulate his needs. He passed his hearing tests at his check-up with flying colors.
It was such a blessing to see him healthier and happier. We haven't had any more doctor trips for ear infections. Elijah stayed well for a while, but then we began the battle of the allergies. To be continued...
*Update, we went to the doctor yesterday and yes, Isaiah has a double ear infection. Poor little man. Elijah was very concerned about his brother and kept telling him 'it's okay baby, Mommy's got you." Love my boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment