Je voudrais mon fils manger la bonne nourriture. [I would like my son to eat good food!]
The battle of the food commenced sometime around the time my son Elijah turned two. He systematically quit eating foods that he normally ate. My once good eater was gone and replaced with this tantrum throwing, food pushing, self-starving creature. The doctor advised that it was a stage that he would outgrow. She said that two-year olds don't eat much anyway. They really don't. In fact, after the rapid lightning growth we see from birth-24 months, the toddler stage is slow in comparison - so their needs are different but nutrition should still be a priority.
With our son being so strong willed anyway, my husband and I decided that this was a battle we weren't going to wage. We were already trying to break his will without breaking his spirit. But the food issues just got worse when he was diagnosed with multiple food allergies (peanuts, wheat, corn, milk, soy). As I struggled to cook and experiment in the kitchen with food, he resisted further. He turned three this spring and showed no signs of relenting. I was forced into sneaking fruits and veggies into smoothies or bribing with promises of cookies or fun afterwards. It worked for a while...until it just didn't.
This past month, he has flat out refused all sources of protein and even his once favored smoothies. He would only eat cereal and bread. Desperate and convinced that things would have to change, we took the advice of my father-in-law and decided to remove any and all snacks. The same weekend my cousin, Courtney, posted about two books that I clearly needed as well. Both are books about French kids and I am already half-way through them. They confirmed the need to remove snacks and asserted that parents should not be short-order cooks. Thank you Lord!
We are already on Day 2 of no snacks and so far I have had some small triumphs. Last night my son went to bed hungry because he refused to eat what we were having. He began complaining and asking for food around 9 pm but I told him that if he was that hungry he could eat his carrots. He cried for cereal but was told that was for breakfast. At 9:35 pm, he broke down and was allowed out of his room to eat the agreed upon carrots. He hasn't eaten carrots in 6 months-no I am not exaggerating. I'm taking baby steps with this because we all have bad habits to break here. Eventually, my plan is that if he doesn't eat with us at dinner time, the he will just not eat dinner. Right now I just want to work on seeing him eat the food that is prepared for him and not put up a fight the whole way through. Victory #2 came today at lunch time when he began asking for cereal again around 11pm. I told him that cereal is for breakfast but if he was hungry he could have some mini-pizzas (freshly made with organic mozzarella I might add!) He said "No thanks, I don't want it" and asked for apple juice. Normally, I don't refuse him drinks but both my forays into French child rearing affirmed that drinks are not required at all hours of the day but given at meals. So, I said he could have his juice when he was ready to eat his pizza. Again, my strong willed child caved in when he was really. He ate all his pizza and had a nice cup of apple juice as well.
I'm working harder, but hey, I've got the time to do it now that I'm not teaching. So I will continue to read my books apply my new knowledge to change Elijah's appetite and help teach Isaiah about foods as he is starting solids now!
*By no snacks I mean that Elijah no longer has access to snack foods. He still is getting a late afternoon snack but it is something I choose. No more choices for him. He eats what I give him or he just doesn't eat. No battles, no pleading, no bribery.

No comments:
Post a Comment